Berthon Boat Company
Berthon Lymington Marina site has been used as a shipyard since the Roman era. During the reign of Edward 1 (1272 -1307) the Lymington shipyard supplied nine ships to the defence of the realm, more than Portsmouth!
In 1877 the Rev E L Berthon started the Berthon Boat Company in nearby Romsey building folding lifeboats, which continued after his death in 1899 under his son Edward.
Harry and Frank May bought the Berthon Boat Company in 1917 and subsequently the Lymington Shipyard in 1918. The two were merged in 1919 onto the present site, and since then, the Berthon Boat Company has been run by successive generations of the May family; currently owned and run by the fourth generation it is one of the most successful marine businesses in the UK.
At our Lymington Shipyard we have the facilities and skilled workforce to refit, maintain and repair to a high standard sailing and motor yachts up to 25m LOA or 75 tonnes displacement ashore. Our clean, modern facilities have benefited from major investment in recent years.
Berthon Marina Services
Berths up to 40m.
Berthon has the most modern paint spraying facility in Europe. The 92 x 36 ft (28m x 11m) state of the art booth is flanked by two similar sized preparation booths, which compliments the UK premier boatyard facility. It allows a dust free spray paint finish every time.
Air temperatures are continuously controlled, and along with other parameters such as hull temperature and air humidity are monitored and recorded to ensure a top class paint finish.
Storage and Winter Lay-up
Our winter lay up and spring commissioning programmes ensure that your yacht is kept in safe hibernation over the winter months, and made ready in spring for you to enjoy another season aboard.
New Boat Sales & Brokerage
Agents for Baltic sailing Yachts, Linssen displacement motor yachts and Windy open sports cruisers.
Brokerage sales motor and sail 30′ – 110′. Offices in UK, S France and Spain.
Superyacht products and services
- Paint Spraying
- Brokerage and new boat sales
- Onan Generators sales/service
- Berthon opens in Scandinavia - Berthon's sales division has announced a merger with XLNT Yachting to enable the opening of a new sales office in Sweden. ...read more
- Berthon coronavirus statement - Berthon is maintaining our full service with the quality, attention and high standards we’ve always shown. ...read more
- Berthon take on 13 apprentices for 2019-20 - Berthon have recently recruited thirteen new apprentices (our largest ever cohort!) into various disciplines within the shipyard as well as an apprentice for BHG Service. ...read more
- Mike Barnes joins Berthon Spain - Berthon Spain are extremely pleased to have Mike Barnes join them in Palma to head up their Guardiennage services. Mike joins the team from Oyster Yachts, where he has spent… ...read more
- Berthon to exhibit Pearl 80 and 95 at Cannes - Berthon International are the UK and France dealers for Pearl Yachts and will be exhibiting the Pearl 80 and 95 at the Cannes Yachting Festival (Cannes Boat Show) 10th –… ...read more
- Berthon Spain launched and already busy - Berthon International and Palma-based Sentinel Yachting joined forces in September 2018 to create Berthon Spain where MD Andrew Fairbrass has established a team of passionate and enthusiastic professionals who have… ...read more
- Berthon christens 120T boat mover - Pictured is a DELTA 88 in Berthon Boat Co Ltd’s 120T ASCOM boat mover which enables simple transportation of large and or heavy craft around the boatyard. The Delta 88… ...read more
- Berthon celebrates 100 years of family ownership - The May family is celebrating 100 years of family ownership of Berthon and its Lymington shipyard. Frank Aubrey May was wounded in France in 1917 and was invalided out of… ...read more